Saturday, April 21, 2018

Poem to The New York Times




Saturday, April 21, 2018

I want to believe everything
The New York Times tells me
Because, well, it is The New York Times
I feel the way the ancient Jews felt
Lost without their sacred text
To tell me what to believe
And what not to believe,
Or how I should feel or not
This breath I breathe
Edited to fid with some
Copy editor’s conception of reality
If it’s not fit to print,
It can’t be real.

I want to believe everything
The sacred Washington Post claims as truth
They brought down Nixon after all
So, they must be important
This lust for power
Leaving them with blood
Not ink on their fingers,
Like Lady Macbeth,
Driven mad by their own
Lust for greatness

I want to believe everything
I hear on PBS
Less stressed they paint my world
In painful color I cannot
Even contemplate for myself,
Newscasters hired for their smooth voices
And their liberal ideal
Like the snake oil salesmen
My plagued my grandmother
Forcing my grandfather to drive off
With a shotgun full of buck shot

I want to believe everything
Every talking head on TV tells me
Because they have press passes
To get the news straight from the source,
Those noble knights on a crusade
To save this holy land we live in
In the name of some new religion
That has no god
Pretending their want to keep the faith
When it’s the trade routes they fight for
Coin changers on the steps of the temple
Selling trinkets to us instead of truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment