Wednesday, November 21, 2018

I hate not being right all the time




July 16, 1980

Anything can be explained; any irrational thought justified; any amount of abuse can be excused.
We post names in our heads for things like loyalty, belief, courage, hope, faith and hide behind them.
But it is in questioning those things that we find answers, not in their blind acceptance.
We are loyal to our country, our religion, our jobs, but don’t know why. Often the reasons are unclear. And when we can’t explain why, we need to investigate.
I’m steaming with rage right now because someone challenged my opinion about the school newspaper, and I can’t properly defend my opinion, while the other side tells me I’m wrong, also without proof.
Anger, however, is excuse for lack of knowledge.
Often anger comes when someone can’t support an argument, when a person feels helpless and insecure.
Anger should only be the answer when dealing in the name of human dignity, when every other possibility has been exhausted, not as the end of a philosophical argument.
But I wanted something so badly to be true that I hadn’t bothered to actually research it well enough, and based my belief on hearsay and wishful thinking – and I always thought I was above that, hiding behind labels that didn’t fit.
It is a mistake I need to avoid in the future: to be righteous, not angry, to be right in the first place.



No comments:

Post a Comment